Our Board Member Julian Lopez Ramirez
JULIAN LOPEZ RAMIREZ – MEMBER
I have more than 19 years’ experience with national and international fiscal regulations and tax administration. As former Director of Fiscal Affairs a.i. and Director General of Customs of the Netherlands Antilles and Curacao, Julian was one of the principal advisor to the government on all local and international tax matters. As Director of Customs he also led the complete reorganization and modernization of the Customs department of the Netherlands Antilles. I have vast experience and knowledge of all past and current tax matters in the Dutch Caribbean as I still serves as an advisor to all the Minister of Finance of Curacao for national and international fiscal affairs as of 2002. As such I have been directly involved in almost all tax treaty negotiations and legislation changes of the last two decades.
As Managing, Tax and lead engagement partner of most Deloitte Dutch Caribbean clients in Curacao, Bonaire and Sint Maarten, I serve all major clients of Deloitte with respect to their direct, indirect and international tax matters. As such I have been involved in various tax restructuring projects, both locally and internationally. My client base includes multi-nationals, large financial institutions and a significant number of large local customers in Curacao, Aruba, Sint Maarten and Bonaire. As of January 2018 I am also a member of the supervisory board of the Central Bank of Curacao and Sint Maarten. Next to these positions I am currently also serving in the task force fiscal reform Curacao and as member of the Program Board optimization tax authority in Curacao. Finally I am a co-author of the book “the fiscal regimes of the Caribbean Kingdom” and lecture sales tax at the pre-masters in tax law at the University of Curacao.
I obtained my Masters in tax law in Leiden in the Netherlands where I specialized in direct taxes. In 2000 I was awarded a study assignment for a two year post-master’s program at the University of Leiden and the Ministry of Finance of the Netherlands, where I also specialized in indirect taxes, customs and tax policy.
- Director of Fiscal Affairs of the Netherlands Antilles
- Director General Customs of the Netherlands Antilles
- Director General Customs of Curaçao
- Director General Costumes of Aruba
- Interim Director General for Fiscal Affairs of Curacao
- Chairman of the supervisory committee for the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorist Financing Act
- Chairman of the taskforce in connection with amendments in the tax legislation
- Chairman Program Board optimization Inspectorate of Taxes
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Public Library
- President of the Taskforce Tax Treaties
- President of the Taskforce Tax Reform
- Tax Partner at Deloitte Dutch Caribbean
- Managing Partner at Deloitte Dutch Caribbean
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Central Bank of Curaçao and St. Maarten
- Member of the Supervisory Board of the Children’s Museum
- Member of the Board of the Tax Lawyers association
- Co-author of the book tax systems in the Dutch Caribbean
- Lecturer at the University of Curacao
- Annotator of NL Fiscaal